Believe me or not, today’s women are a lot busier with their job than you can even think. So, freeing up their schedule to do workouts can be tough. But come on, you can not ignore the importance of staying fit in your life. So, what can you do?
The best exercises for a woman will be those that give her a satisfactory outcome with investing minimum time. And the core workouts for women matches all the requirements.
In this article, you will get the top core workouts. Anyone can practice these both at home and in the gym. If you are looking for new workouts to add to your daily exercise list, give this article a quick read.
Everything About a Core Workout
Core workouts basically train your lower back, abdominal muscles, pelvic, and hip. No matter if you want a six pack ab, stable body, or just to strengthen your muscles, core exercises are mandatory. If you are a sportswoman, then you have to practice these workouts with more attention.
Benefits of core workouts:
- Strengthen and tighten the abdominal muscles
- Decrease the risk of injury during an intense workout
- Stabilize and strengthen your torso
- Improves the function of your respiratory
- Your body posture gets better, and the spine gets strong
- Help you to lose tummy weight
Core Workouts For Women At Home
Practicing core workouts at home saves both money and time for the women. Here you will get the top core workouts for women that they can perform with no equipment or with a set of weight.
1. Dead bug:
The dead bug is a popular core exercise for beginners. It targets the core, spine erector, and transverse. This workout strengthens your core and stabilizes the spine. Also, the dead bug exercise reduces the risk of lower back injury.
- Lie on your back and extend your arms straight over your chest. Lift your feet from the ground and keep your knees bent at a 90-degree position. This is the starting pose.
- Keep your core engaged and lower back pressed against the mat.
- Now slowly move your right arm in the backward direction towards the floor, but do not touch the ground. At the same time, extend your left leg forward and keep it straight.
- Reverse the movements and get back to the starting position. Continue the same steps with your left arm and right leg.
2. Kettlebell dead bug pullover:
Lie on the mat with your back. Keep your knees bent at a 90-degree position and hold a kettlebell with both your extended arms.
Lower your right leg and both arms with kettlebell towards the ground, but do not touch it. Reverse the movement and repeat it with the left leg.
3. Single arm floor press dead bug
This is a combined exercise of the single arm press and dead bug exercise. Follow the same movements as I have mentioned above. The only difference is, you need to carry weight with your moving arm.
4. Stability ball dead bug
From the name, you must have guessed that we will use a stability ball in the dead bug exercise. After getting into the starting position, hold a stability or medicine ball with your forearm and knees. While extending your arm and legs, hold the ball with the remaining forearm and knee.
These exercises are as effectual as other core workouts for women.
5. Bear crawl
The bear crawl exercise targets your shoulder, core, and full body. It strengthens your muscles and increases its endurance level.
- Start with getting in the tabletop position with your knees and hands. Place your knees under the hips and wrists under the shoulders. Also, your neck must be aligned with your spine.
- Raise your left knee slightly off the floor and move forward, maintaining a flat back. It is basically walking your feet and hand on the mat.
Women’s core workout with weights
To make your core exercise more challenging and intense, you can add weight to the list. While choosing the dumbbell weight, consider your physique and strength ability.
1. Renegade row with push up
Renegade row with push up strengthens your core and upper back.
- Hold dumbbells in each hand and get in the high plank position. Keep your hands at shoulder-width apart and legs slightly wider than the hip-width apart. Make sure your feet are in line with your hands. Also, your body should be in a straight line from head to toe.
- Lift the right dumbbell off the ground and pull it towards your chest. The elbows should be closer to the torso and engage your core.
- Lower the dumbbell and get back to the high plank position.
- Do a perfect push up and return to the first position.
- Repeat the same movements by lifting the weight of the left arm.
2. Alternating overhead press
This exercise strengthens your shoulder muscles and core. This is one of the best core workouts for women.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet at hip-width apart. The weights should be just above your shoulder height. Keep your arms bent and palms facing forward.
- Straighten your right elbow and press one dumbbell up overhead. Do not move another arm and keep your back straight.
- Lower the dumbbell and get back to the first position.
- Continue the workout with another arm.
3. Dumbbell swing
Dumbbell swings are not complicated at all. You can practice this exercise for building a strong ab too.
- Stand straight with your feet, planting shoulder-width apart. Hold a dumbbell with both of your hands.
- Slightly bend your knees, push your hips back and swing the dumbbell in between your legs. Do not round your lower back.
- Now swing the weight back to your chest level by contracting the thrust and glute. Do not use your arms or shoulders to raise the weight. Instead, let the momentum from the hip thrust should swing the weight upward.
Women’s core workouts at the gym
Basically, you can perform most of the core or ab workouts at home. But if you want to join a gym to build your core, that is okay too. Most of the time, the trainer selects the fitness routine for you. Here are some recommendations you may consider:
1. Exercise ball crunch
This is one of the best core workouts for women to strengthen both the core and abs. This exercise also builds your legs, hips, and butts.
2. Barbell squat
The barbell squat is a compound movement that strengthens your lower body, including the core. You can add this exercise to your powerlifting or leg workout routine. This exercise improves your cardio health, and some consider the barbell squall as the king of core workouts.
3. Flat bench lying leg raise
This exercise is not difficult at all and similar to the leg raising workout. The only difference is you have to perform it on a bench. This workout not only strengthens your core but also helps you lose extra weight. The flat bench lying leg raises especially tones your butt, thigh, and tummy.
4. Elbow plank
Elbow plank is a bit harder than the traditional plank. This one has more benefits than the basic one too. The elbow plank will make your core, spine, and thigh strong and stable. Also, you can improve your body posture by practicing the elbow plank exercise.
5. Feet elevated oblique crunch
It is similar to the basic crunches but obviously more challenging. This exercise is great for building your abs, lower back, and core muscles. The feet elevated oblique crunch will also help you burn down the extra fat.
Top 10 core exercises for women
Who wants to miss out on the best exercises? No one, right? Opinion can vary from people to people on the top exercises. Here is a list that I recommend.
1. Plank: The basic plank can also be known as hover or front plank. This exercise targets the abdominal and core muscles. For athletic persons, planks can boost up their performance. Depending on how long your plank, you can lose weight.
2. Hollowman: This core exercise strengthens and stabilizes your abs and core.
3. Butterfly sit-ups: The butterfly sit-ups target both your core and lower back. It improves your body posture.
4. Half kneeling wood chop: Most people avoid this exercise, but it can be very effective. The woodchop can target your core, lats, shoulders, and more.
5. Superman pulls: The superman pulls the best for the lower back and core. If you are suffering from back pain, then add this exercise to your list.
6. High boat low boat: If you want to make your daily core exercise a bit more challenging, try this high boat low boat exercise.
7. V ups: Though v ups are advanced-level core workout, you can try by doing some modifications.
8. Body saw: You can gain both core stability and strength with this exercise.
9. Leg raises: This is a great exercise to burn your tummy fat and strengthen the core.
10. Side bend: The side bends target the core muscle and oblique. As a result, you get a strong and stable core, arm, and back.
The importance of core workouts for women is many. The workouts not only strengthen your core but also benefit your whole body.