Who does not want flawless makeup? When it comes to choosing makeup type, we get kind of lost between a glossy-shiny and a matte look. Personally, I always prefer matte makeup. This is trendy and most celebrities follow this look. But here is the thing. Most of us do not know, “What is matte makeup?”
In simple words, you can put it this way. The matte makeup is something that has nothing to do with shimmer, sparkle, or shine. This makeup suits best those who have oily skin. In the following article, I will give you the secret of having a flawless matte makeup look.
What Is Matte Makeup?
Sometimes people confuse matte makeup with sheer makeup. But both are different. Matte makeup contains nothing glittery or shining. In other words, you can say matte makeup provides a pristine finish and poreless skin.
Here is when matte makeup will suit your vibe:
- If you have oily skin, a matte look can be your savior. This makeup does not let the oils come between you and your gorgeous look. The matte makeup literally vanishes all your pores within a minute.
- Do you have an important interview coming up tomorrow? Wear matte makeup for the perfect corporate look.
- For a perfect sunny day when you are planning for a picnic, matte makeup should be your first priority. This will stand you out even in a crowd.
Do not think that matte makeup is dull and makes you look older. It is not. If you can combine the products perfectly, you will get a bold look even with matte makeup. Some people think matte makeup goes only with oily skin. But no, with a perfect blending, matte makeup will do its magic even on dry skin.
Matte Makeup Or Dewy Makeup
In the previous section, I have mentioned that matte makeup and dewy makeup has some similarities. But yet, both are different. As a makeup lover, you might have the curiosity to know more about the difference between these two makeup looks. To quench your thirst, here is a brief discussion on matte makeup look vs dewy makeup look:
The main difference between a matte and dewy look lies in the finishing. The matte makeup offers a smooth finishing while the dewy makeup provides a shiny and radiant glow. As the matte makeup does not contain any oily ingredient, it is best for the oily skin type people. Again, the final result with matte makeup is somewhere between sophisticated and trendy.
On the other hand, as the name suggests, the dewy makeup provides a moist look. Even though the final look is not shimmering, your face will give a radiant glow. The matte makeup creates a powdery texture on your skin. This is quite opposite of the dewy makeup.
The dewy makeup suits those who have dry skin. This look adds a layer of moisture on their face. It is true that this makeup offers a light spritz of wetness on the skin. But do not take the matte makeup as a dull or bland one. Rather this is very ideal for clicking pictures.
When it comes to choosing the right makeup look, you need to consider your skin type. Each style has its own pros and cons. But trust me, you can stun everyone with either the makeup if you know the tricks.
How To Apply Matte Makeup
What is matte makeup? You got the insight into this question. Let’s move on to the ultimate tutorial of matte makeup. Even though matte makeup suits oily skin, with the right amount and technique, this will do magic on dry skins too. Here is a step by step guide on how to apply matte makeup:
- No matter which makeup you are going to wear, always start with a fresh face. This keeps the makeup even and does not let it flake off. First, rinse your face with warm water. It will remove the dirt from your face. Then wash your skin with a suitable cleanser. While purchasing a cleanser, consider your skin type. Also, make sure the product does not contain any harsh chemicals.
- After cleaning, it is important to moisturize your face. Why? It is because the cleanser can strip off your natural oil. Moisturizing it with the right product will lock the wetness for a long time. Choose the moisturizer according to your skin type. For oily skin, non-comedogenic products will be the best choice.
- For excessively oily skin, consider exfoliating to reduce the oil content. Exfoliate with lukewarm water. While exfoliating, give special attention to your nose, chin, and forehead areas.
- For oil control, you have two options. You can use either toner or milk of magnesia. Some people go for both. Use a cotton ball for applying toner and milk of magnesia. Let it dry before applying makeup.
- Apply primer on your face. This will ensure that the makeup is in the right place.
- It is time to apply a matte foundation. Choose the foundation that matches your skin tone. For a stunning look, you have to excel in blending the foundation. Do not think you can not use other types of foundation for a matte look. BB cream or normal foundation both will work.
- Use a highlighter to highlight the areas you want. Then apply concealers to polish the look. Make sure the blending of the highlighter and concealer is perfect.
- Swipe a loose foundation powder on your face for setting the makeup. Use a brush for this purpose. The color should provide a shine-free and matte vibe.
- For eye makeup, apply a neutral matte color on your lids and crease. To highlight your eyes, blend a darker color on your crease. A cream color eye shadow will brighten your eyes even more. For a dramatic look, blend black eyeshadows to the outer corners of your eyes. Now outline your eyes with a black liquid eyeliner.
- Now you just have to give finishing to your overall matte makeup look. Fill in your brows, put false mascara, and even you can highlight your eyelids. Go for the matte pink or peach color for the blush on. This will go perfectly with your look. Finally, wear matte lipstick, and you are done.
What is matte makeup? And how to apply it properly? Now you know the secret tips of wearing matte makeup. Remember, if your skin is terribly dry, then avoid the matte makeup.